CDR: RE: A very brief politcal rant

Ernest Hua ernest at luminousnetworks.com
Thu Nov 9 11:28:39 PST 2000

Are you arguing that there were people who did not know
that they were voting for someone who was dead?

Yes.  I agree that the appointment may or may not be
considered legal, depending upon how the law is interpreted.

However, what is abundantly clear to me is that most,
if not all, of the electorate know that the guy is dead.
It was in the news for weeks.

If anyone is suggesting that there is some bait and switch
going on, let's see the evidence.  Was there a news black
out?  Where the news papers destroyed?  Radio stations cut
off?  TV frequencies jammed?

Please note that it is not clear yet whether this particular
corner case of the law is well-defined.  The courts will
decide that.  The courts may very well be required to void
this appointment for some important Constitutional reason.

Who knows?

My original point is that even if the courts find that the
law is technically being violated, it may not necessarily
void the appointment because the court may find that the
violation is not serious enough to tell voters they cannot
have what they want.

Your statement about letting the voters have anything they
want is clearly extreme and irrelevant in this case.  This
case is decided on subtleties of the law and the exceptional
circumstances, not the extremes you are alluding to.

Ern