CDR: Re: Reporting weirdness: Hagelin vs. Browne

obfuscation at beta.freedom.net obfuscation at beta.freedom.net
Thu Nov 9 12:43:02 PST 2000

TCMay writes:
> On CNN I watched the election results coming in. They always listed
> four candidates: Bush, Gore, Nader, and Hagelin. The usual format was
> Bush/Gore on the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen and then a
> second page with the crawl having Nader/Hagelin.

In fact, Browne did better than Buchanan in Florida, and for that
matter Phillips did better than Hagelin.  I too noticed CNN's bizarre
focus on Hagelin over the much higher polling Browne and Phillips.
Perhaps Hagelin acquired an aura of respectability at their editorial
desk due to his fight with Buchanan for the Reform nomination.

Buchanan beat Browne nationwide but Browne won in a number of states,
including Florida.  However Browne's vote total ended up being lower
than in 1996.

Ob