CDR: Re: A successful lawsuit means Gore wins!

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Nov 9 10:15:42 PST 2000

At 10:42 AM 11/9/00 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>It would be simpler, and probably fairer (in a general sense) to discard
>those ballots that are suspect. Elections such as this should not be
>re-run.
>
>Take it down to its most general form. Gore and Bush are tied.
> My ballot was mangled during processing and is unreadable; I successfully
>sue for a rerun of the election, just for my ballot alone.  Is this a
>good thing?

There are at least two problems with that
0) That's what happened now, and nobody likes it :-)
1) The ballots that appear to have been misvoted, about 19000 of them,
disproportionately appear to have been for Gore, and not for Bush,
so it seriously biases the results in that district.
You could avoid this by voiding _all_ Presidential votes from the district.
2) The district itself is heavily Democrat, so voiding all their votes
doesn't fix the imbalance either.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com