CDR: RE: Re: A very brief politcal rant

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Thu Nov 9 07:01:22 PST 2000

> ----------

Jeremy Bentham, spiritual founder of University College, University of
London.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Bentham-Project/jb.htm
for an image of the 'auto-icon'
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Bentham-Project/auto_il.gif

It turns out that the story that the his preserved body attends University
Council meetings (and is noted in the minutes as 'present, not voting')
is only a UL (university legend).

I got my degree at Kings College, University of London. Bentham was an
atheist and the founder of Utilitarianism. King's was founded by a group
of religious Londoners appalled by the thought of godless UC, and even
in the late 1970's there was still a distinct rivalry between the two
schools.

Periodically, students from UC would steal 'Reggie' a lifesize lion statue
which was King's mascot, and King's students would kidnap Jeremy's
head (which is separated from, but stored with, the rest of his body).
Usually, the momentos would be ransomed after a few weeks, with the
money going to charity.

Peter Trei

PS: We covered all this in the list 5-6 years ago.