CDR: Re: A strange election scenario.

James B Windle jbwnyc at lycos.com
Wed Nov 8 18:57:30 PST 2000

--

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 20:36:04
 Tim May wrote:

>Actually, MacBride _was_ the elector, in the 1972 election. He ran as
>the LP candidate in 1976, presumably on account of his 1972 action.
>
>(The 1972 was my first election, and I voted for John Hospers,
>candidate of the very new Libertarian Party.)

Interesting.  That may be right I remember it happening as I grew up in Virginia but I was pretty sure it must have been 1976 as I didn't think I remembered much about 1972 except Nixon won as I wasn't even a teenager.  A little research didn't help regarding that vote, but there are several other instances of electors voting for other candidates as the elector are not apparently legally bond to vote as they are elected to vote.

1956 An Alabama elector voted for a circuit court judge instead of Adlai Stevenson

1960 An Oklahoma elector voted for Harry F. Byrd instead of Richard Nixon

1968 A North Carolina elector voted for George Wallace instead of Richard Nixon

1988 A West Virginia elector voted for Lloyd Bentsen instead of Michael Dukakis

Jim Windle