CDR: The joys of vote theft conspiracy theories

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Wed Nov 8 17:45:36 PST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Jim Burnes wrote:

>I find it extremely interesting that this is all going down in the
>state that was covered in detail in the excellent book 'VoteScam'.
>This book, written by the Collier brothers, details massive voter fraud in
>Dade county.  When the Colliers discovered the extent of voter fraud they
>brought it directly to the State Attorney General Janet Reno. Ms. Reno
>promised action and then conveniently forgot the whole matter.
>Are bells ringing yet?

Ya know, last night, I was thinking, I'm a suspicious bastard for
thinking this but... let's count 'em off on imaginary fingers here.

One, it's Florida, where there's known precedent for scamming votes
and the traditional infrastructure doesn't do much to prevent it.

Two, it's the governor's brother running for president. (and the
governor, conveniently, is in charge of investigations into vote
fraud).

Three, the bloke running for president's dad is a former head of a
major intelligence agency who's had a lot of experience setting up
covert operations and has the personal wealth needed to fund his own
team of agents.

Four, Daddy probably knows where a lot of bodies are buried --
George Sr. prolly has no end of ammo for playing hardball with US
intel services and others who might investigate vote fraud -
particularly  Ms. Janet Reno.

Five, Daddy also happens to be an ex-president of the US, with lots
and lots of connections and favors owed.  Which also means, in
particular, that he is a former head of all of the US armed forces.

Six (hmm, I must be polydactyl), the ballots can continue to
come in by mail from overseas for ten days - mostly from places
controlled by US armed forces - provided they have postmarks with
an appropriate date - and there's no protocol to make sure that
postmarks aren't getting backdated.

Now, I don't *know* that anything large and organized in the way
of vote-stealing is going on -- but goodness, if you wanna talk
about a full complement of opportunities and fodder for conspiracy
theorists, there's just no end of angles, is there?

>Maybe Ms. Reno still has connections in Dade county.  If I were a Republican
>I'd demand chain of evidence from any so-called 'lost' ballots.

Um, ditto if you were a Democrat, I'm thinkin'.

				Bear