CDR: Re: A strange election scenario.

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 8 17:36:04 PST 2000

At 3:44 PM -0500 11/8/00, James B Windle wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:28:25
>  Trei, Peter wrote:
>
>>In most states, electoral college
>>electors are bound by law to cast their
>>votes in favor of the candidate who won
>>their state. But not all - in some states
>>(which ones? I don't know) electors can
>>legally vote their conscience. A Libertarian
>>presidential candidate got an electoral vote
>>a while back in this manner.
>>
>The electoral college vote you are thinking of was in the 1976
>election, a Republican elector from Virginia cast his vote in the
>electoral college for McBride who was the Libertarian candidate that
>election.  The elector was not a very popular guy with the
>Republican party but he broke no law.

Actually, MacBride _was_ the elector, in the 1972 election. He ran as
the LP candidate in 1976, presumably on account of his 1972 action.

(The 1972 was my first election, and I voted for John Hospers,
candidate of the very new Libertarian Party.)

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.