CDR: Re: A strange election scenario.

James B Windle jbwnyc at lycos.com
Wed Nov 8 12:44:48 PST 2000

--

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:28:25
 Trei, Peter wrote:

>In most states, electoral college
>electors are bound by law to cast their
>votes in favor of the candidate who won
>their state. But not all - in some states
>(which ones? I don't know) electors can
>legally vote their conscience. A Libertarian
>presidential candidate got an electoral vote
>a while back in this manner.

The electoral college vote you are thinking of was in the 1976 election, a Republican elector from Virginia cast his vote in the electoral college for McBride who was the Libertarian candidate that election.  The elector was not a very popular guy with the Republican party but he broke no law.

Jim Windle