CDR: Re: Applying California law to ICANN

Sampo A Syreeni ssyreeni at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Nov 8 05:39:23 PST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Eric Cordian wrote:

>DNS and the root servers are a single point of failure in the global
>Internet, and one that is easily pressured to delete pointers to speech
>that is deemed politically incorrect.

Given the current impetus behind file sharing, I sort of think someone will
come up with a way of managing completely decentralized directories well
enough before long. I certainly have been tinkering with the idea. After
that, all that is needed is a rewrite of DNS on top of such a service. Not
nice, but useful.

What is the current state of the art in high availability transparently
distributed databases?

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi>, aka decoy, student/math/Helsinki university