CDR: Courts interfering with election

David E. Smith dave at technopagan.org
Tue Nov 7 23:15:17 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Tim May wrote:

> A judge in St. Louis has ordered the polls kept open later, until 10
> pm local time. The effect will be to let more inner city,
> Democrat-leaning voters vote.
>
> A similar measure was turned down in another state (Kansas?).

Kansas City, Missouri, actually (IIRC, natch).

The whole point, really, isn't so much about the Presidential race as it
is to try to elect the dead guy to Congress.

I can only wonder at the logic of this whole charade -- yeah, the lines
were a little long (I'm in a St. Louis 'burb, and I voted at 8 a.m.), but
that's pretty much par for the course.

(The ridiculous can o' worms that one opens up, if it turns out the late
Mel Carnahan wins his election, is one that I'd rather not deal with at
one in the morning. :)

...dave