CDR: Re: Courts interfering with election

Alan Olsen alan at clueserver.org
Tue Nov 7 19:32:03 PST 2000

At 10:10 PM 11/7/00 -0500, David Honig wrote:
>At 09:31 PM 11/7/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>If they work hours such
> >that they cannot be at the polling places during these hours, they
> >obtain absentee ballots. Or they take personal time off of work. Or
> >they go in an hour later. Etc.
>
>California is reported to have 20% absentee ballots, see the latimes.com

Oregon has vote by mail.  (Fun watching both of the major parties spending
*LOTS* of time here when large numbers of people had already sent in their
ballots.)

One of the more interesting ballot measures in Oregon would require the
government to have a conviction before being able to seize property.  The
arguments against are pretty interesting.  The first set in the voter's
pamphlet is from the Humane Society claiming that the measure would "harm
animals".  (When you can use the "Its for the chilldddreeennn" argument,
hurting animals is the next best thing.  Reminds me of the National Lampoon
cover with the dog with the gun to his head.  "Vote NO on measure 3 or the
dog dies!")

---
|             Terrorists - The Boogiemen for a new Millennium.           |
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|                                                  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com/~alan/       |alan at ctrl-alt-del.com|