CDR: Re: Courts interfering with election

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Nov 7 19:31:33 PST 2000

At 10:10 PM -0500 11/7/00, David Honig wrote:
>At 09:31 PM 11/7/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>If they work hours such
>>that they cannot be at the polling places during these hours, they
>>obtain absentee ballots. Or they take personal time off of work. Or
>>they go in an hour later. Etc.
>
>California is reported to have 20% absentee ballots, see the latimes.com

Exactly. There are _many_ ways to vote. The polls are open for 13
hours, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Claims that "working people" can't get to the
polls are ludicrous. If anything, in fact, it's the Silicon Valley
programmer who may have a hard time getting away from the office
during those hours.

In any case, the claim that St. Louis  needed to have its polling
hours extended into the late evening because Latisha LaFonda was
incorrectly registered and couldn't vote at 10 _a.m._ is what makes
it all so ludicrous.

"We want the polling places to be open until at least 2:30 a.m. a
half hour after the bars close. We gots to be thinkin' 'bout our
con-stit-a-ents!"

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.