CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Tue Nov 7 14:59:03 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:

>At 09:00 PM 11/6/00 -0800, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>>On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, David Honig wrote:
>>>* running water
>>>* N toilets per hectare
>>>* electricity
>>>* walls, stairs, floors made to certain state minima (standards)
>>>* N metres of terra between A and B
>>
>>Um.  Not true.  Many of my relatives do without the first three
>>owing to religious proscription.

>Wow, you're related to the Amish?

Yeah. They really are an amazing bunch and have done an astonishing
amount of work on the civil-rights front. One of my grandfathers was
born to an Amish family but eventually married outside that community
and, um, left.  But we still go occasionally to family reunions, and
we are still welcome there.

>Anyway the English :-) may make exceptions for the Amish, but generally,
>and even in rural america, you can't sell a house for human (chiiiildren)
>occupation
>that's not wired for classical infrastructure ---water, wires, N lbs/ft^2.

I don't think so.  As I understand matters, the laws in most of
the US are that *IF* there is electrical wiring, then it must meet
certain standards, and *IF* there are indoor toilets then they must
meet certain standards, and etc.  These laws simply do not apply to
homes built without these things.

:-)  FWIW, referring to those outside the community as "English"
is a Pennsylvania thing.  In other centers, where the Amish are
themselves mainly english-speaking, the term in use is "Outlander".
So when my cousins refer to me as having "Outlandish" ideas or
ways, I know exactly what they mean. Unlike most of the people
who use the word about me, they are just being literal.

				Bear