CDR: Re: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Tue Nov 7 02:38:00 PST 2000

Jim Choate wrote:
> > you're right. that's why I said "what's left of it".
>
> But if it wasn't ever there how can there be any left of it?

there always was security. just never enough to make a difference in the
total sum. but it's not like *every* machine on the net is wide open.

> > no. the argument is: if you make probing illegal, we'll see even more
> > (and *much* more) "security through obscurity" - because figuring out
> > that this crap is insecure will land you in jail.
>
> Going to jail won't stop anyone from figuring it out if that's what they
> want. I would be so bold as to suggest that if they make it illegal then
> you'll see a significant rise in the behaviour, along with increased use
> of anonymous remailers and Open Source software than can be kludged.

there's a lot of people who couldn't care less. however, there are also
a couple of people who do care. for example, I have occasional
sysadmin-to-sysadmin contacts along the lines of "hey, by accident I
found that on your site..." - that would definitely not work as well if
by pointing out some config error to the guy running the site you risk
that if he's an asshole you're in a lawsuit.