CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Mon Nov 6 20:15:19 PST 2000

At 20:18 -0500 11/5/00, Steven Furlong wrote:
>The supremes have decided, in their wisdom, that the amendments to the
>federal constitution apply to the states as well. Thus, the 1st
>amendment prohibits states as well as the feds from regulating speech.

Not a question of wisdom- the 14th basicly says, thou shalt no longer
make state laws that ignore the constitution.  Note- this didn't
happen until the civil war.  Prior to this it was well understood
that states could pass whatever laws they darn well pleased.

Something that many don't realize is just how much the
constitution/our government has been molded and changed since it's
creation.  In it's original form it was very clearly treated as a
tool of the states, not the people.  It was given just enough
strength that it's decisions could be made to stick if a decision
went against a particular state (this was the problem with the
articles of confederation).

>No, I agree with Tim, they need killing. I'd put them on the list, but
>below the gun grabbers. No one says the list can't be prioritized.

LOL.  It's a priority queue, designed for easy distribution of labor
when the proverbial sh*t hits the fan.

--

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly