CDR: Re: PipeNet protocol

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 6 18:28:55 PST 2000

At 03:00 AM 11/6/00 -0500, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 11:55 PM 11/5/00 -0500, captain_kirk at beta.freedom.net wrote:
>>My isp would start charging me extra if I surpassed my monthly ul/dl limit.
>>Is this realistically feasible with today's infrastructure?
>
>Only one of the ISPs I deal with has a traffic limit,
>and that probably only gets counted for hits to my web pages,
>not from my dialup connection.
>
>Some higher-speed connections have limits, some don't,
>but again it's more common for hosting service than for transit service.
>				Thanks!

Any Pipenet++ should be designed such that ul/dl limits can be respected
and then forgotten.  At least until everyone gets flat rate Mbps service.

Remember when "1 megapixel, 10 MIPS, 10 MB RAM" was drooled after?

BTW, given your real limits Captain, what rates do you estimate are
feasible, Sir?
[Not actually a facetious query...]