CDR: Re: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Mon Nov 6 14:49:06 PST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Tom Vogt wrote:

> Jim Choate wrote:
> > > but on the other hand, we *do* want to keep cracking legal (at least to
> > > some extend) because otherwise what is left of security in cyberspace
> > > will quickly vanish into oblivion, right?
> >
> > What security? I've never had or made any claims that cyberspace was
> > secure. Even in its nascent days.
>
> you're right. that's why I said "what's left of it".

But if it wasn't ever there how can there be any left of it?

> > Are you possibly confusing 'privacy' (which has the same issue) and
> > 'security'?
>
> no. the argument is: if you make probing illegal, we'll see even more
> (and *much* more) "security through obscurity" - because figuring out
> that this crap is insecure will land you in jail.

Going to jail won't stop anyone from figuring it out if that's what they
want. I would be so bold as to suggest that if they make it illegal then
you'll see a significant rise in the behaviour, along with increased use
of anonymous remailers and Open Source software than can be kludged.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com