CDR: Re: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Alex B. Shepardsen abs at squig.org
Mon Nov 6 16:38:39 PST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Jim Choate wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Alex B. Shepardsen wrote:
>
> > Would GSM have been broken if the researchers couldn't have taken credit
> > for it?
>
> Yes. There would have been a very increased motivation for doing so by
> many groups who would benefit from being the only part who had the
> information.

Ah, but would you or I know that it had been broken? You've missed my
point, Choate. Public disclosure of security vulnerabilities happens
because of researchers and groups who work for recognition.

> Profit is a strong motive.

If people cannot gain recognition for having broken a system, they will
not profit from revealing that said system is broken, unless perhaps they
are the developers of a competing system.

So, perhaps Sprint or AT&T or one of the CDMA/TDMA cell network providers
would have put researchers on the problem of breaking A5/1... but who else
would have had the motivation *and* would benefit from the public knowing
that it wasn't secure?

And besides, I think it would probably have been less legal for Sprint to
reverse-engineer GSM than the SDA/Berkeley folks.

So my point stands. Systems will still be broken, but will be broken by
the "bad guys" and the public will not be notified.

Alex