CDR: RE: FW: BLOCK: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Mon Nov 6 05:21:37 PST 2000

Jim Choate wrote:
> my cycles not the person sending the spam. When they send their probe out
> to my mailer to determine it's configuration without permission that is
> trespassing. It is the same as if they came onto my property to determine
> how I configure my VCR. That the computer is accessible through a public
> channel is as irrelevant to the issue as the fact that the street in front
> of my house that connects with my driveway is public as well.

but on the other hand, we *do* want to keep cracking legal (at least to
some extend) because otherwise what is left of security in cyberspace
will quickly vanish into oblivion, right?

as a matter of fact, *probing* my machine is nothing I'm worried about.
if you like, you can come over and probe all you want. if you find
something that should worry me, it would be nice of you to tell me
first. but if you dump half a million mails on my server, *that* is not
acceptable.