CDR: Re: Minesweeper and defeating modern encryption technology

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Nov 6 12:40:40 PST 2000

It's actually http://hissa.nist.gov/dads/HTML/nondetrmtur.html
with no www.

>"Definition: A turning machine which has more than one next state for some
>combination of contents of the current cell and current state. An input is
>accepted if any move sequence leads to acceptance."
>
>In other words you have to have a 'input verifier' that verifies the data
>is good before the next state(s) are entered. Note this means your
>verification function can't be NP.

You're still not getting what the non-deterministic Turing machine does.
The problem is structured as a decision-making problem, where an input is
"accepted" if the Turing machine halts in an accept state, meaning the
set of input is a valid solution to the problem (sometimes leading to
ugly convoluted problem definitions if you're really trying to find an optimum
rather than a yes-no problem like a Hamiltonian or 3-SAT), or rejected
if it halts in a rejection state (where the proposed answer is not a valid
solution),
or doesn't halt (if it's an annoying problem+input.)
"An input is accepted if any move sequence leads to acceptance" means that
there's some collection of next states (bits of answer) that leads to the
an accept state.  How do you know _which_ input value leads to acceptance?
That's the magic part.  If there are N bits of input, there are 2**N possible
move sequences, of which the existence of one correct sequence leads to
acceptance.

>It most assuradely has NOTHING to do with the question of how one builds a
>'universal sentence parser' that can return a verifiable yes/no as to
>validity when Godel's says all sentences don't necessarily have a valid
>result (ie they aren't provably consistent).

I don't think anybody's claimed that it has - the Satisfiability problem
and the subset 3-SAT problem don't deal with all Boolean problems,
just ones with a particular form.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com