CDR: RE: RISKS: New Jersey shuts down E-ZPass statement site after sec urity breached

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Nov 6 06:46:27 PST 2000

EZ-Pass is a perfect example of people choosing
convenience over security, and a bad design "creating
the tools for tyranny".

While the accounting system most certainly keeps records
of where you were, and when, so it can do billing, the system
is structured in such a way that an intrusive government can
place antennas anywhere they want, and clandestinely
record all EZ-Pass equipped vehicles passing a given point
(even if it is not a toll site).

[It just struck me that there may be a novel legal challenge to
this; since you have contracted with a transport agency to
use EZ-Pass, any non-contractual activation of the system
could be legally construed as computer hacking - the snooping
antenna has to power up your EZ-pass' chip (that's what those
big inductive loop antennas are for), cause it to run a program,
and return a result. If the EZ-Pass is rented from the authority
I don't know if you'd have standing to sue, though.]

Of course, EZ-Pass could have been designed so that the
device was anonymous, and prepaid stored value (bought
for cash) smartcards used to meter access.

It would probably have worked out cheaper as well, since the
accounting overhead goes away, and they make intereset on
the float of unused cards....

....but such a mechanism would not have suited Big Brother
nearly as well.

Peter

Disclaimer: The above represents my personal views only]

	[...]