CDR: Re: Internet IP scan completed (> 4E9 IP's served)

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Nov 6 09:24:43 PST 2000

>> >It's on /.<     ....  http://slashdot.org

It's kind of a cool hack, though apparently there are
at least two companies that have done it.
2**32 is just NOT a very big number any more,
so it's not surprising that somebody has tracerouted
all of it (except 10.* and other private spaces.)
Depending on how efficient they want to be,
there are ways to make the traceroutes take advantage
of the fact that they're sequentially scanning,
so most locations take the same path as the previous one.

I'm probably going to port-scan 10.*, which in this case
is my organization's lab network which has 4 locations
and could use better documentation.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com