CDR: Re: Roots servers on rise - ICANN's golden egg cracking

Jim Choate ravage at EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Mon Nov 6 05:11:25 PST 2000

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 George at Orwellian.Org wrote:

> Don't "alternate roots" have to have a copy of
> what the main root servers have? Then they are
> doing a favor by off-loading traffic.

No. BIND, at least, allows at least two root nameservers. Make one a
traditional one and one not. It's really an issue for the user and not the
nameserver operator.

> Separately, I've noticed something on my Solaris 8 box.
>
> I often freeze my Netscape browser windows when leaving
> the computer for a while. That's because FoxNews and NYT
> (for example) keep reloading themselves again and again.
> This is unwanted push traffic. It's not costing me anything
> over my DSL/Cable modems, it's just unwanted by me.
>
> Even with browsers frozen...

> So, Solaris at least, is generating 100% unnecessary DNS traffic.

Simply because you've minimized  the process's desktop doesn't mean it's
not running. The DNS is from your browzer and not Solaris. Kill the
browser and these querries will go away (eventualy, it sometimes takes
Netscape quite a while to actualy shut down).

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com