CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sun Nov 5 21:06:03 PST 2000

This is a somewhat interesting question. Presumably just as the right
to speak freely includes the right to keep one's silence, the right to
bear arms includes the right to remain weaponless (modulo conscription).

The 2A arguably goes further than the 1A; the first is a literal
prohibition on what Congress may do (at least in those pre-14th days),
while the second says the right "shall not be infringed." So if we
agree the right exists, by a strict originalist reading of the
Constitution, it's reasonable that it would be unconstitutional for
any government to require such.

-Declan