CDR: Re: Roots servers on rise - ICANN's golden egg cracking

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Sun Nov 5 19:27:59 PST 2000

#    Last year alternate roots supported 0.3% of internet traffic.
#
#    This year alternate roots are supporting 5.5% of internet traffic.
#
#    The BIND study this year to date has ennumerated 60,513 dns (15% of
#    399,937 dns) of which 3,331 report they are using non-USG roots.

Don't "alternate roots" have to have a copy of
what the main root servers have? Then they are
doing a favor by off-loading traffic.

Separately, I've noticed something on my Solaris 8 box.

I often freeze my Netscape browser windows when leaving
the computer for a while. That's because FoxNews and NYT
(for example) keep reloading themselves again and again.
This is unwanted push traffic. It's not costing me anything
over my DSL/Cable modems, it's just unwanted by me.

Even with browsers frozen...

I recently left 'snoop' running, and found I was initiating
DNS traffic...to FoxNews and NYT. Looking closer, I had DNS
queries regarding non-browser-accessed sites, like ftp.

So, Solaris at least, is generating 100% unnecessary DNS traffic.

Oh, Joy.