CDR: Re: Here's an interesting twist on gun control ...

Steven Furlong sfurlong at acmenet.net
Sun Nov 5 17:18:34 PST 2000

>     Yes, while it would be unconstitutional for the federal government to
>pass this law, how could it be unconstitutional as a local or state
>statute?

I'm not sure it would be unconstitutional for the federal gov't to pass
such a law, unless you rely on the widely-ignored 10th Amendment. (The
Federal gov't has only those powers specifically granted to it by the
Constitution; clearly we, in these enlightened times, need no such
constraints on the operations of our benevolent Big Brother.) (And that
was sarcasm, for Tim and the other sarcasm-impaired.)

The supremes have decided, in their wisdom, that the amendments to the
federal constitution apply to the states as well. Thus, the 1st
amendment prohibits states as well as the feds from regulating speech.

>     While I admit it seems like a foolish law (akin to requiring a citizen
>to vote), I hardly see how it would require 'a killing'.

No, I agree with Tim, they need killing. I'd put them on the list, but
below the gun grabbers. No one says the list can't be prioritized.

I suppose it's possible that they were simply making a point, with the
collusion of the vast majority of their residents.

>Also, given their
>views, killing them may not be as easy as others who are unarmed. ;-)

Heh, not likely to be true. Most or all "public figure" gun grabbers
seem to have bodyguards, or special dispensation to carry handguns
because of the risks inherent to being a public figure, or whatever.
Politicians, of course, are not to be held to the same standards as the
little people. In NYC, a fair number of actors and such are able to get
the almost-impossible-for-the-common-swine carry permits, for themselves
or their associates. I saw a list a couple of years ago, and, no, I
don't have a cite. Same for Los Angeles. Need it be pointed out that
many of these actors use their fame to rail against the proliferation of
guns?

In the late 80's, IIRC, a famously anti-gun columnist from Chicago,
IIRC, Carl Rowen, IIRC, was found with an unlicensed pistol; he'd heard
a late-night disturbance outside his apartment, went outside with gun in
hand, and was caught by the cops. He at least had the limited grace to
write a column describing the incident and stating that his
pubicly-stated position might not be entirely consistent with what he
felt was best for himself.

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     sfurlong at acmenet.net