CDR: Re: FW: BLOCK: AT&T signs bulk hosting contract with spammers

Tom Vogt tom at ricardo.de
Fri Nov 3 02:37:33 PST 2000

Sampo A Syreeni wrote:
> I think it's more about the principle of it. No sane, sensible, tolerant
> person would go as far as to try to regulate spam. Or, indeed, UBE-friendly
> ISPs. But bulk mailing is such reprehensible behavior that it surely
> deserves a pile of social and technological sanctions. Blacklisting,
> shunning, DoS attacks and teergrube-kinda software immediately spring to
> mind, a combination of the first and last perhaps being the least
> intrusive. I totally fail to grasp why governments seem so intent on
> criminalizing most such measures. To me they seem like the essential
> ingredients of basic cyber-hygiene.

I guess it's just that govs see that they're losing power and thus are
scrambling to get themselves involved everywhere. or, on a slightly less
malicious scale, they're equally desperately trying to show that they
*do* have something of consequence to contribute.

maybe DMCA (as much as I hate it) and the breaking of micro$oft (as much
as I love it) both stem from the same emotional source.