CDR: RE: ZKS and Ebola

Fisher Mark fisherm at tce.com
Fri Nov 3 06:45:53 PST 2000

>Is that the neighbor, the employer, the insurance company, ISP,
>Microsoft, her husband, or the government ? All entities on this list
>except one can be effectively neutralized with single-DES and free
>Anonymizer.com access. The government is the only one that can do decent
>multi-network tracing and break some ciphers.

The only entities that might be neutralized by single-DES are her husband
and her neighbor, but that's not a sure thing.  The EFF DES Cracker was
built for less than $250,000 in 1993, which is just pocket change for large
corporations (like GM) and well within budget for medium-sized corporations
(like Thomson Consumer Electronics, where I work).  There are several
individuals on this list who could afford to build a single-DES cracker
themselves, although they might have to take a hit on their affordability of
their current lifestyle.   You need to catch up on your reading as to what
capabilities small organizations and private individuals now have in terms
of breaking computer-based security.
Mark Leighton Fisher            fisherm at tce.com
Thomson Consumer Electronics    Indianapolis IN
"Display some adaptability." -- Doug Shaftoe, _Cryptonomicon_