CDR: Re: Nader

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Nov 2 21:40:43 PST 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Tim May wrote:

>>no matter how good you are.  You can get rich enough to live off your
>>investments, sure -- but reaching the billionaire league is a multi-
>>generational project.
>
>This is not true. Most billionaires in the United States did it in a
>single generation. On the Fortune list of billionaires, most made the
>money by starting companies. Only a handful are heirs.

Most of them come from well-to-do families rather than filthy
rich families, that's true.  But few or none come from blue
collar or really poor families.  Besides, my goal isn't having
a one-percent chance of becoming a billionaire; the people you're
pointing at rode the venture capital rocket, and for each of the
one-generation people on that list, ninety-nine others went flat
broke and deep into debt trying to do the same thing.  The multi-
generational plan I have in mind is building up by investment
and hard work, not by riding the crash-prone venture capital
rocket.

>Nothing wrong with indentured servitude. You can read some pieces I
>wrote about this many years ago, circa '93-94. The archives should
>have them.

Where are all of the archives?  I have only found the ones on
venona, and they are incomplete.

				Bear