CDR: ZKS: Flawed model for centralization and rates

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Nov 2 10:37:05 PST 2000

At 10:14 AM -0500 11/2/00, Adam Shostack wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 07:08:06PM -0500, Tim May wrote:
>
>| By the way, I've been curious about this "we spend time and energy
>| maintaining relations with law enforcement" point for a while. In
>| numerous comments I've seen this mentioned.
>|
>| Why do you spend any of your valuable time talking to law enforcement/
>
>	Because if we don't, then they get confused about what we're
>trying to accomplish, they forget that privacy has lots of valuable
>uses which are not the collapse of governments and tax revenue, and
>try to ban what we're doing.  And then they go talk to Parliment to
>get laws passed.  We see that as a bad thing.

Indeed. But it sort of undermines the argument we heard a few years
back that the main reason ZKS was locating in Canada was because of
Canada's greater freedom in crypto matters!

Many of us thought this was jive, of course, as Canada was only
nominally more free in certain areas involving crypto export...and
this largely because it was choosing to go a different way than its
usual puppetmaster to the south. Once the Canadian government decided
that unfettered strong crypto was dangerous, it would likely move
swiftly and without the 200+ years of First and Fourth Amendment
cases to deter the outlawing of strong crypto. While Canada has not
banned strong crypto, EU countries seem to be moving in that
direction. And if strong crypto is not affected by law in Canada,
just what does "try to ban" mean?

I wonder if Jim McCoy and his associates working on Mojo Nation are
being called on by legislators and cops? My guess is not.

Maybe there's still time for ZKS to pull up stakes and move to the
Caribbean. Or to cypherspace.

>Feel free, if you know what the market wants.  I'm curious
>if you'll be running a node yourself?

Not in the near future. I have only a 28.8 dial-up connection out
where I live, in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Too far from the CO
(Central Office) for DSL, though this may change next summer. No
cable modem service. I looked into DirectTV/DirectPC/Gideon satellite
service, but this still requires a dial-up line for half of the
session, which rules out 2-way serving of pages or Freedom traffic.

If I had fast Internet service, I might even be willing to buy one of
the ZKS-packaged Windows or Linux machines. As you all know, I favor
Macs. OS X looks like a good platform, as it is of course based on
Mach/BSD/etc.

(BTW, I suggest you look at current Mac OS support plans in this light.)

Some friends of mine have installed the Freedom server. One of them
tells me that since ZKS is unaware of the traffic flowing, as per the
basic design goals, that he is working on running other traffic and
still being paid for it. (I'll ask him tonight what exactly he means
by this...)

>	Actually, I'm unconvinced that even pipenet style padding is
>sufficient.  Looking at the work on traffic analysis thats been done,
>we're in about 1970.  We have one time pads (dc-nets), and some other
>stuff, but we don't have a DES to analyze.  We have an adversary who
>has spent a long time learning how to do this well.

I don't disagree with this. I'm not saying much more robust systems
are not needed.

What I'm saying is that there's a "disconnect" between which types of
nyms are allowed by ZKS, in terms of the T&C and the blather about
cancelling nyms for abuse, and the threat model. Little girls surfing
to the Barney site are not going to face sophisticated correlation
attacks.

As Lucky said, there's an interesting issue of whether ZKS has missed
its market. Not strong enough, or not "allowed," for the most extreme
users of pseudonymity, but too strong and too expensive for the vast
bulk of the target audience.

I have other problems with the rate model which I hope to discuss
soon in more detail. Basically, charging $50 a year for "all you can
eat" is a crude model as compared to pay-per-use services. And this
poor rate model arises because, naturally enough, ZKS wishes to make
money. Great, but it's still a crummy rate model.

Paid remailers solve the problem in more than one way. First, no
prepaid nyms are needed. Only digital cash (for the tokens or
"stamps") is needed. Second, those who use the services more, pay
more. Third, rate competition for remailing. Fourth, no centralized
infrastructure is needed. Fifth, no point of attack. Sixth, no need
to "jawbone" with lawmakers in Latvia, Germany, Canada, California,
Zambia, or wherever. Seventh, robustness is in the hands of those who
distribute remailers. Eighth, a low-cost expansion  curve. No need
for a centralized company with high burn rates. Incremental addition
of boxes.

(Not sure if N of the remailers have been compromised? Add more hops.
Hop stuff through your own controlled remailers. Use temporary
fire-and-forget remailers hosted on other machines. Expand the
universe of nodes. More chains, more hops.)

I can't help thinking that a tiny fraction of what ZKS has spent
could have ironed out the relatively small problems with paid
remailers, with making Mixmaster clients more robust, etc.

The key ingredient to incentivize remailer box operators has always
been digital cash. Digital cash means the "buy five nyms and then use
the system as much as you want" model is not needed. It means no
centralized nexus is needed.

Mojo Nation looks to be headed in this direction.

(I assume everyone knows that Mojo can be spent on remailings?)

--Tim May

"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.