CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model (press release)

obfuscation at beta.freedom.net obfuscation at beta.freedom.net
Thu Nov 2 09:58:29 PST 2000

> I'm leaning toward trying for a controlled experiment, such as it is
> with only 5 nyms, with my nyms split this way:

The new Freedom 2.0 beta uses a different method for receiving nym
email than in 1.0.

1.0 used remailer reply blocks.  Several separate blocks were set up due
to the unreliability of the remailer network (?).  The Freedom servers
sent mail to all the reply blocks.  The client software was then smart
enough to eliminate the duplicates if more than one came through.

2.0 just runs a POP server at freedom.net.  Then you connect to it via
the anonymous Freedom network, as when you are web browsing or using
IRC anonymously.  You retrieve your mail and you're done.  It seems to
be much more reliable.

Any comments on whether this new approach provides less privacy?

Note that the beta test is using only a few servers, all controlled
by ZKS, and so provides no real anonymity.  That will change once 2.0
is released.

Ob