CDR: Re: The Market for Privacy

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Thu Nov 2 07:22:29 PST 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 11:14:27PM -0500, Lucky Green wrote:

| In my view (I suspect this may be in agreement with Tim's comments above,
| though I naturally do not presume to speak for Tim) ZKS' inability to derive
| meaningful revenue of the Freedom (TM) product can be explained quite
| trivially: the product fails to meet market requirements. Those willing to
| pay cash to protect their Internet activities demand real privacy. Not the
| watered-down, Mickey Mouse "privacy" Freedom provided.
|
| Freedom does not offer the user untracable IP. Hence those seeking
| untracable IP didn't buy the product. Little surprise here. Freedom's
| current fate was predicted in detail on this list the moment ZKS' deviated
| from their initial anon IP promises.

I'm really curious to see who goes into business selling full-bore
anonymous IP on our codebase.  If anyone really wants to, we'll be
happy to spend a day or two telling you about all our in-progress
traffic analysis results, so you don't need to re-do that work.  (It
will all be published as it becomes ready for publication, but if
someone really wants to pursue this business, we'll show you what
we've done.)

Adam

					               -Hume