CDR: RE: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Thu Nov 2 00:01:52 PST 2000

At 11:06 AM 11/1/00 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>California passed the Medical Marijuana Initiative (more than once,
>as I recall, as the Fedgov found "technicalities" to strike it down
>the first time it passed).

Actually, the state legislature passed it, twice, and
State Reptile\\\\\\\Governor Pete Wilson vetoed it, twice.
So we had to do an initiative, which Wilson politicked against,
but it passed, so State Atty. General Dan Lundgen and the Feds
tried to gut it.   The new Democrat Atty. Gen. Bill Lockyer's
not helping any.

>No "interstate commerce" is involved (*), for most home-grown pot,
>and yet the Fedgov has asserted the claim that federal dietary laws
>take precedence over local dietary laws.

If you read the Federal drug laws, they start out by bald-facedly
asserting that since it's hard to tell where a particular bunch of drugs
comes from, Congress presumes that they may have originated in or
be destined for interstate commerce, so they have jurisdiction.

(Even if it's a marijuana plant still attached to the ground....)

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com