CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model (press release)

Harmon Seaver hseaver at harmon.arrowhead.lib.mn.us
Wed Nov 1 18:14:08 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> Anyone know how well Freedom 1.1 operates under Virtual PC 3.0
> running Windows 98 SE with underlying Mac PPP and TCP/IP services?

      I haven't tried it with VPC on my Mac, but I tried several times (with
two different releases) to get it to work with Vmware on a linux box.  It was
never able to get connected for it's initial config. I could go anywhere else
on the net, but once I tried to use Freedom, it not only wouldn't connect to
them, but then trashed all my tcp/ip networking until I removed it.
      Which was surprising, actually -- I think it's the first thing I've found
that I couldn't get to work with Vmware. And VPC has been the same, everything
I've tried running on it works great, but I didn't bother trying Freedom since
I don't need w95 on my Mac, just DOS and w3.1 for some old stuff.
     OTOH, it might work with VPC -- seems like Vmware has a weirder network
setup than VPC, and maybe using a modem might make a big difference too, since
VPC can access the modem directly and not get it's tcp/ip connection thru the
host OS -- which, if I recall, the Freedom server saw as a proxy and so it
puked.