CDR: Re: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

Anonymous nobody at remailer.privacy.at
Wed Nov 1 11:21:01 PST 2000

Tim May wrote:

> (In that I'll feel better in coming years being able to think to
> myself: "I didn't vote for that Bush clown...I voted my principles!")

> However, as any vote is of marginal importance, as with the
> amelioration issue you mention, I'm still undecided. Needless to say,
> neither Gore nor Nader are in my universe of choices, however.

Aside from whatever emotional gains you might make by voting for Browne on
grounds of principle, that action has the added (albeit marginal) benefit
of increasing Libertarian party legitimacy in the public eye.

Admittedly, a single vote will have no effect on percentages in a national
election, but in the local arena, helping the party achieve 5% or even 1%
of the vote will frequently secure ballot access next time around.