CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model (press release)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Nov 1 16:47:15 PST 2000

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Eric Murray wrote:

> I beleive it was Eric Hughes who at a Cypherpunks meeting about four
> years ago, said "the solution isn't key escrow, it's document escrow".
> Which makes sense- a business doesn't (or shouldn't) allow employees
> to keep a single copy of an important document on their hard drive.
> It should be replicated in other known places in case of disaster (drive
> failure, stolen computer, employee hit by bus, etc).  Just because
> documents are encrypted doesn't mean that this practice is abandoned.
>
> One can envision a system where there's a corporate "document czar" who
> is regularly given docs from various employees and who then encrypts them
> in his own key.  When and where the docs get decrypted is determined by
> corporate policies.  No key escrow required.
>
> I don't know of any existing system like this, but formal corporate
> document control isn't my field.

You (and apparently Eric) haven't ever heard of cron and tar? The job
you're speaking of is called a 'system administrator'. There job is to
archive the contents of the companies machines. Make multiple copies and
then escrow at least one of those copies in another physical location.

The reality is that if a company gets hit with this sort of problems (ie
document loss) then they have a competancy issue of a bigger proportion.

                     He is able who thinks he is able.

                                           Buddha

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com