CDR: Re: Zero Knowledge changes business model (press release)

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Wed Nov 1 12:56:56 PST 2000

At 12:13 PM 10/31/00 -0500, Tim May wrote:
>How about:
>
>-- no key escrow, no split keys, no trusted third parties

I don't see any way around the fact that some companies will want to have
key escrow of some form for employees who disappear, e.g., car accident,
pickpocket stole the key-carrier, etc.  I think companies will want this
because of the risks of financial damage to the company.

Although its hazardous if done wrong [cf recent PGP problems], is
tarnished by the Fedz/Denning/etc, and might have no use in a personal
privacy tool (your diary dies with you), isn't it too dogmatic to rule out
key escrow for tools intended for use by groups?

Are there equivalent methods which don't use escrowed keys, which I
am unaware of?

Strong crypto means the employee can put an invincible lock on the
corporate file cabinet.   This might mean that invincible locks are
not used in corporations.  A corporation might require that any
invincible physical locks be used in series, so the corp can get into the
files if the first lock stays locked.  That doesn't seem wrong
to me; and in meatspace two locks in series is obvious and no compromise
is made to either lock's design.

Maybe no escrow per se, but corp. data is duplicated and each copy is
encrypted by a person's bizkey and the corporate shared key for that person.
Locks in series.

(Now, it may be 'sad' that ZKS has changed its bizmodel to service
businesses that need locks in series, but I'm only interested in
whether its rational to universally denounce any locks-in-series
architectures.)

>The "relevant legislation" language is the real kicker.

Though this was elaborated on in a later reply, they really do need to
specify what they mean exactly (re Canada & 'consumer privacy') when
they say the nasty l-word in their public literature.  Any mention of the
law in crypto lit turns the stomache, puts the scanners on highest
sensitivity.