CDR: RE: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Wed Nov 1 10:14:52 PST 2000

> Bill Stewart[SMTP:bill.stewart at pobox.com]
>
> At 09:48 AM 11/1/00 -0500, Trei, Peter wrote:
> >All indications are that Carla Howell, the Libertarian challenger for
> >Kennedy's Senate seat, will handily out-poll the Republicans this year.
>
> I really like Carla - hope she does well.  You'll probably also have
> a lot of Greens and liberal Democrats voting for Nader, which would be
> good except they're partly doing it for the campaign finance porkbarrel.
>
> Massachusetts looks like the kind of state that has
> more pot smokers than registered Republicans.
> Somebody ought to be able to use that....
>
> 					Bill

Somebody is. Prop 8 would allow drug offenders (including low
level dealers) to opt for treatment over prison, and would
require all fines, seized funds, and profits from the sale of
stolen^H^H^H^H^H^Hforfeited property in drug cases to be
used to finance treatment.

I think one other state has a similar proposition this year, and
another (New Mexico?) has had a similar law in place for a
while, to great success.

Needless to say, the police chiefs and DAs are worried that their
profits will be eroded, and oppose it.

Since the national and state wide candidates' races are non-issues
in MA, most of the campaigning I've seen has been for and against
the various ballot measures.

For details, see:
http://www.state.ma.us/sec/ele/elebq00/bq008.htm

Peter Trei