CDR: RE: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

Carskadden, Rush carskar at netsolve.net
Wed Nov 1 10:14:31 PST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim May [mailto:tcmay at got.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 10:35 AM
To: cypherpunks at algebra.com
Subject: Re: California bars free speech of those cutting deals on votes

> In the interest of full disclosure, I should say that I'm bouncing
> between voting for Bush as a "do the least damage" (on gun issues,
> tax issues, foreign affairs, etc.) and voting for Browne of the LP on
> "feelgood" issues.

> (In that I'll feel better in coming years being able to think to
> myself: "I didn't vote for that Bush clown...I voted my principles!")

> However, as any vote is of marginal importance, as with the
> amelioration issue you mention, I'm still undecided. Needless to say,
> neither Gore nor Nader are in my universe of choices, however.

> --Tim May

Well whatever you do, don't look for wise advice from this list. Merely
trying to get some helpful points of view may result in Declan giving you a
verbal body slam. I know, I'm in the same position that you are, and I
foolishly looked for OTHER people's opinions, as opposed to thinking that I
had it all figured out. The thing I may have learned, though, is that there
is strength in being completely pragmatic, and there is strength in
relentless dedication to your convictions, but being a wishy washy debating
idealist will get you run over. What I am attempting to do now is be SURE of
what I am going to do, so that I can vote with some confidence, because a
half-hearted fight for what I want isn't much of a fight at all.

ok,
Rush