Good Virus info. Working fix. Highly recommended.

In Him ministry at ipm.org
Sat Jul 29 16:14:07 PDT 2000

If your email client does not show this email formatted, please, go here. AOL users may cut-paste this link onto the browser http://www.ipm.org/av/SirCam
 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you remember seeing this message? Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice.

See you later. Thanks Do you remember READING the attached file? If the answer is "yes" to both, your PC is infected with one of the trickiest and most dangerous viruses that takes internet by storm. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Worm W32-SirCam at MM Why the trickiest? It comes with an innocent request for advice from someone that you know (message can be in Spanish). Attachment - is a real file from a real person's PC; it might even be relevant to the field of interests of the person it came from. You will even feel obligated to reply. Why the most dangerous? When you read the attached file, worm W32-SirCam at MM comes out of the document, goes in to your Windows registry, and here's where the fun begins. 1. It looks in your PC for every file that is a Document (*.doc, *.txt), image (*.gif, jpg, etc.) compressed files (*.zip, rar). 2. It takes found documents, copies itself into bod!
y !
of text an
   d sends silently to ea
 Is there any precaution against this and similar viruses? Yes, 1. Never open attachments from people that you do not know. If indeed interested in the attachment, or it comes from a friend, always reply to the sender with the question "Did you send this to me?". If the answer is "yes", enjoy the file. If "no" just delete email and empty Deleted files folder. Make sure to reply with the message that he may be sending a potential virus. 2. Install (unwise to pinch pennies here) and never turn off Antivirus software. We recommend Norton Antivirus. In Norton properties, set Auto Update for weekly automatic downloads. 3. Do not rely (sorry, folks!) on MacAfee Anti-virus software pre-installed on your PC from the manufacturer. This is what has happened to me--system admin--for a second time. Two years ago I bought Sony notebook for home use and MacAfee did not catch "happy99" virus. Several months ago I bought another GREAT notebook from Sony, got lazy about uninstalling MacAfee !
an!
d replacin
   g with Norton. MacAfee
 Serge Taran