Anarchy Eroded: Project Efnext

Van Donald van at echeque.com
Sun Dec 31 21:30:12 PST 2000

     --
At 06:56 PM 12/31/2000 -0500, David Honig wrote:
 > I don't see why a secure text-chat program would be any different
 > than PGPfone (using DH, not RSA).  Maybe easier i/o, tougher
 > authentication since PGPfone uses human voice recog in part.

The method used by PGP phone against a man in the middle attack is
impossible for text programs, though fairly easy for voice and video.

A chat program needs a server, or interacting network of servers to
advertise presence.  This server could also act as a public key server,
invisibly to user, guaranteeing stability of identity -- that this presence
was the same entity as had been logged on under the same name in previous
sessions.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      UGQ/+6M1hWVD5Z4S7TaT01Hg7/uSMrGS449xduq7
      4+IVFOt/Gxo+29WnJDRqzcj9CMd7J+MOSEhY09Au5