Anarchy Eroded: Project Efnext

dmolnar dmolnar at hcs.harvard.edu
Sat Dec 30 23:52:15 PST 2000

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Eric Cordian wrote:

> Unknown to much of the Internet, there is a plan brewing to "upgrade"
> Efnet, the primary IRC network, to something called "Efnext."  Server
> software is being rewritten and tested.  Efnet server admins have been
> contacted and promises to move to the new network during a "transition
> period" exacted.  People who won't play ball have been identified, and
> plans to delink them and not connect them to the new regime fabricated.

Something I don't see much of on the efxnet page - "why?"

This is in the FAQ:
"EFNext is the name of a project geared towards making IRC a more stable,
    uniform, chat environment."

and they say "introductory document coming soon." I still don't know why
this is happening (I don't hang out on EFnet). What do the efxnet people
give as their reasons for a new IRC network?

-David