Anarchy Eroded: Project Efnext

Alex B. Shepardsen abs at squig.org
Sun Dec 31 00:06:02 PST 2000

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, dmolnar wrote:

> Something I don't see much of on the efxnet page - "why?"
>
> This is in the FAQ:
> "EFNext is the name of a project geared towards making IRC a more stable,
>     uniform, chat environment."
>
> and they say "introductory document coming soon." I still don't know why
> this is happening (I don't hang out on EFnet). What do the efxnet people
> give as their reasons for a new IRC network?

Well, as an EFnet user, I can say that EFnet is pretty unreliable. Network
splits are extremely common (major splits occuring once every 3 or 4
hours, and usually lasting about 10 minutes or so). Lag between major irc
servers is often quite apparent. All-in-all, EFnet needs a lot of
work. Some of the other networks like Chatnet behave better, but they are
also smaller and have less users.

Is there a need for a new IRC network? Unclear. I think that the probolems
EFnet has are not going to be fixed by relacing it. The IRC servers simply
need to be more reliable.

Alex