The Cost of Natural Gas [was Re: The Cost of California Liberalism]

Raymond D. Mereniuk Raymond at fbn.bc.ca
Sat Dec 30 23:36:16 PST 2000

Tim May <tcmay at got.net>

> I said "at certain times of the year."
>
> British Columbia is tied by treaty arrangements (Columbia River
> Treaty, 1961) to the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA), and is,
> VERY SIGNIFICANTLY, now part of same grid that is the ISO, the
> Independent System Operator, mostly based in California.
>
> Read the following and weep for your beloved Canadian independence:
>
> http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001208/ts/california_power_dc_3.html

The independence is not an issue to most Western Canadians.
We are a subservient bunch to Eastern Canada as it is now.
Central Canada is where the money and power is seated and the
way Canada is setup it will always be that way.  Being independent
or joining the USA is a subject which is often mentioned in Western
Canada.

Another purpose served by your Electoral College is that it gives
each senator in a state a vote.  This helps even out the power
between major population centers and those states with low
populations.  Couple this with your senate and you have a system
which balances geographical related issues against that of major
population centers.  Most Western Canadians would prefer such a
system.

Back to the main subject, what are your numbers for exports of
power from the American Northwest to the Canadian Southwest?

I am told by the powers that be that the number is negative.  Again
you would have to travel this area to understand how the
environment has been altered in the name of energy production.

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond at fbn.bc.ca
"Need Someone To Tell You What To Do?"