Anarchy Eroded: Project Efnext

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Sat Dec 30 19:02:07 PST 2000

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Eric Cordian wrote:

> Almost since the inception of the Internet, Usenet and IRC have been
> uncensorable distributed resources defined only by adherence to published
> protocols.
>
> With no centralized administration, and resilience against the loss of
> individual servers, they carry enough traffic to provide complete and
> total plausible deniability for any server operator over content which
> gores some specific group's ox.

> Unknown to much of the Internet, there is a plan brewing to "upgrade"
> Efnet, the primary IRC network, to something called "Efnext."  Server
> software is being rewritten and tested.  Efnet server admins have been
> contacted and promises to move to the new network during a "transition
> period" exacted.  People who won't play ball have been identified, and
> plans to delink them and not connect them to the new regime fabricated.

> You can learn more about Efnext at http://www.efnext.net/
>
> "Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.  We will add your
> biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."
>
> We are Efnext.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, ....

So much for belief in free markets. You realise that there is nothing that
requires servers to install this, or cease using the old network?

It seems to me the 'cypherpunkish', 'libertarian', 'anarchic' thing to do
is to promote the growth of individualy operated servers other than those
on ISP's (who will have a motive to drop the old system and use the new
system - just another example of why libertarian/economism is not
sufficient in and of itself for a basis for society - they have no motive
to protect the individual, only the 'market').

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com