Fwd: Re: The Cost of Natural Gas [was Re: The Cost of California Liberalism]

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Dec 29 13:17:44 PST 2000

     --

  On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, James A. Donald wrote:
 > > He describes the california system as "deregulated", but the fact
 > > that it takes many years to get permission to build a power plant
 > > -- that it takes longer to get permits than to actually build one,
 > > is undoubtedly a contributing factor to the crisis.

  Ray Dillinger
 > Odd.  If it's "deregulated",  why do the power companies have to ask
 > CPUC's permission to raise rates?  I don't think  deregulated" means
 > what he thinks it means.

What has happened is that we in California have moved from a state imposed
and controlled monopoly, to a highly regulated market.  This has not worked
well, one of the many reasons being that those who now have to decide to
build power plants are now the evil greedy developers, rather than the wise
and benevolent bureaucrats, and in consequence those who want to build
power plants are having great difficulty.  Naturally, however, all the
newspapers are entirely confident that the problem is capitalist greed.  If
it was not for those greedy people itching to destroy the environment by
building power plants, we would have plenty of power.

This is analogous to the US health care crisis.  If an evil greedy
capitalist health care institution decides not to give an elderly pauper
triple bypass surgery, in order to retain ever greater bloated profits,
that is an intolerable evil of capitalism.  If, however, a rational
bureaucrat decides to wisely ration bypass surgery by ensuring that it only
goes to those who can truly benefit from it, that is a wonderful saving on
health costs.   As a result, governmental health care systems really are
much better at controlling costs that regulated semi private health care
systems.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      90e6UF9IrKiRsj8L3J8wgY3bcw3+zYgljEnNQxpA
      4YCLYYMYEDsPsyAdXW3SXlqSzZ/KoouNTW9GP2nx/