This is why a free society is evil.

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Fri Dec 29 08:16:17 PST 2000

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, James A. Donald wrote:

> If running a business is a privilege, then of course it will be restricted
> to the privileged, which is exactly what we see in the more extreme social
> democracies, where the people running the show are usually the lineal
> descendents of those who got their start at the time of Napoleon.

Demonstrate that a 'business' is a right in the same class as life,
liberty, pursuit of happiness?

It is clear a business is a form of 'pursuit of happiness' but that
doesn't make it equivalent. Rights are something you as an individual have
by mere existance. A 'business' can't exist in that environment, there is
no 'market'.

Do people have a right to work? No. They have a right to try to work. They
can do that by starting their own business or working in somebody elses.
But neither are a 'right' in the sense you want to use them.

People have a right to pursuit happiness, why? Because they are already
unhappy, why? Because if they don't get off their ass something will come
along and eat them.

           Before a larger group can see the virtue of an idea, a
           smaller group must first understand it.

                                           "Stranger Suns"
                                           George Zebrowski

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com