The Cost of Natural Gas [was Re: The Cost of California Liberalism]

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Dec 29 09:24:05 PST 2000

     --
 > For those who care, take a look at
 > http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/10/opinion/10KRUG.html which is an
 > op-ed piece by an MIT Economics prof. describing the California
 > situation in the same terms I have.   He cites a paper which in turn
 > cites evidence that artificial shortages were previously created in
 > the UK (1996) and California (1998 & 1999).  unfortunately no
 > detail, but it is more than just random conspiracy theory.

He describes the california system as "deregulated", but the fact that it
takes many years to get permission to build a power plant -- that it takes
longer to get permits than to actually build one, is undoubtedly a
contributing factor to the crisis.

     --digsig
          James A. Donald
      JXy269kdEdLHKEQ2b/5GVMHAZPjYHXf7xg8R1IyY
      44A7PM67XbbrgFVYUWSF3uYbJ6dBoiZ6gwM+yy4xp