More half-baked social planning ideas

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Dec 26 02:13:23 PST 2000

>>Another general cause is that most of the current houses are built
>>stupid.  In the 1940's and 1950's houses were built that were quite
>>habitable without constant airconditioning.  They had basement

My condo is quite habitable without air conditioning.
It's got an air conditioner on the lower floor we've never turned on
(stupid location - if it were in the upstairs bedroom we'd use it
a couple nights a year.)   High ceilings.  Electric heat.
I'm spending far more to heat the place in a Silicon Valley winter,
with temperatures seldom below 10C and almost never below 5C,
than I ever spent in New Jersey, where they have real winters
(not real snowy winters, but below freezing for a few months.)
It was built back in the 70s, when we should have stopped pretending
that electricity was too cheap to meter.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com