More half-baked social planning ideas

Marshall Clow mclow at owl.csusm.edu
Mon Dec 25 21:33:39 PST 2000

>On 12/25/00 at 11:07 AM, tcmay at got.net (Tim May) wrote:
>
>> Nope, no basements. No basement in the house I lived in in San Diego
> > in the 1950s. Built on a slab. No air conditioning, either. No need.
>
>You mean there's someplace in San Diego that's flat enough to lay a slab?

Lots of places.

> > The "solution" to "shortages" is, as with all things, market pricing.
>
>You have to have a market first.  How do you go about establishing that?  And
>wouldn't a fair market price assume a reasonable supply?

Why should it?
Is there a "reasonable supply" of original Van Goghs?

Nevertheless, there is a market for them.

If there are shortages, then the price will go up.
If it goes up enough, then people will look for ways to produce more.
[ In the art market, these are frequently forgeries, but for water,
that's not a problem. ]

--
-- Marshall

"The era of big government is over."
           Bill Clinton, State of the Union Address, January 23, 1996
Marshall Clow     MusicMatch   <mailto:mclow at mailhost2.csusm.edu>